Philip is a specialist compliance and criminal defence lawyer described as a ‘standout name’ by The Legal 500. Advising clients during regulatory investigations, he works in the automotive, construction, FMCG, retail & leisure, tobacco, manufacturing, and life sciences sectors.
Recent examples of his work include:-
- advising several global businesses on responses to investigations into bribery, fraud, criminal offences and disclosures to key regulators;
- securing the acquittal of a senior manager charged with health and safety offences as part of a corporate manslaughter trial following an explosion at a recycling plant;
- successfully defending white goods manufacturers in investigations by the National Measurement Office regarding energy labelling and efficiency of products;
- advising an international retailer on its response to the horsemeat scandal and dealing with associated contractual issues with suppliers;
- advising a major tobacco company on changes required under plain packaging legislation and the development of e-cigarettes;
- advising companies on compliance with export controls and international trade sanctions;
- advising a number of household brands on product recalls regarding tools, cereals, lamps, plugs and other domestic items;
- advising a large travel organisation on compliance with Package Holiday, ATOL and ABTA regulations.
Previously at DLA Piper and BLP, Philip joined Shoosmiths’ Thames Valley Office in 2008: he was made partner in 2013. He has worked as a prosecutor for HSE and been seconded to the Tesco Store Ops and McDonald’s Legal Teams, giving him a commercial approach to regulatory compliance. He is a member of the Food Law Group and the Health and Safety Lawyer’s Association.