Niko Hukkinen is a Helsinki-based Partner specialized in EU & competition, green economy & energy and M&A. He has extensive experience especially in M&A-related competition law, dominance matters, horizontal and vertical cooperation between undertakings, state aid and public procurement. Niko regularly acts for industrial and private equity clients in complex merger control analyses and processes both before the EU institutions as well as domestic instances, including the coordination of multi-jurisdictional filings globally. Niko’s experience also includes cases related to the abuse of dominant market position, self-assessment of distribution, cooperation and JV agreements as well as compliance policies in, for example, the energy, forestry, health care, pharmaceuticals, aviation, retail and food industries.
In addition to the above, Niko has been involved in matters in the growing green economy and energy sector, such as related to electric cars, wind and wave power, waste management, chemicals and nuclear power.
Niko has previously worked as a visiting lawyer at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in Brussels and as seconded in-house counsel within industry.
Niko is recognized as one of the leading experts in Finland in EU & competition law by international legal directories such as Chambers Europe and Who’s Who Legal. Clients say he is "one of the leading competition law practitioners in Finland, especially in the field of merger filings where his skills and knowledge are outstanding". (Chambers Europe, 2013).
- “Predatory pricing on the milk market in Finland”, ABA Section of International Law Hot Topics Bulletin
- “Vähemmistöoikeuksien kilpailuoikeudellisesta merkityksestä” (“Minority shareholdings in competition law”), Defensor Legis 2012/3
- “Yhdenmukaistettu menettelytapa, tietojenvaihto ja EY:n tuomioistuimen T-Mobile ratkaisu - missä kulkee raja sallittujen ja kiellettyjen kilpailijakontaktien välillä?”, Defensor Legis 2009/4
- ”De svenska och finska förvärvskontrollreglerna ur ett komparativt perspektiv” ("A comparative study of Swedish and Finnish Merger Control Rules"), Europarättslig Tidskrift 1/2008
- “Applying EC Competition Law ex officio” in “Practical Aspects of Arbitrating EC Competition Law”, Schultess 2007 (Zuberbühler, Oetiker)
- Chapters on cartels and merger control in “Kilpailuoikeus” ("Competition Law"), Talentum 2007 (Alkio, Wik)
- Articles in legal publications: Global Counsel, Global Competition Review Global Merger Notification Handbook, ABA Antitrust Bulletin
EducationUniversity of Helsinki, LL.M. (2000)