ProfessionPartner and Patent Attorney at Sayat Zholshy & Partners (Almaty, Kazakhstan)
Amir joined Sayat Zholshy & Partners in June 2010 as Associate and was promoted to Senior Associate in January 2011 then to Partner in January 2014. Now Amir leads the Antitrust and Intellectual Law practice areas.
Amir has considerable experience in antitrust law and is actively involved in numerous where he represents clients in antitrust authorities and courts, and where he provides general advice on antitrust legal issues. He regularly writes articles and makes presentations on antitrust issues at various conferences and forums.
Prior to joining Sayat Zholshy & Partners, Amir worked for 3 years at the Tax and Legal Department of a Big 4 firm in Almaty.
Amir is also engaged in M&A transactions structuring and implementation. He is actively involved in all M&A projects of the Firm where targets were represented by such companies as Kazakhstan pension fund, dealer network of the global leading producer of hoisting-and-conveying equipment, a major Kazakhstan integrated zinc plant producing a substantial amount of cupper, precious metals and lead, a major Kazakhstan alcoholic beverage producer, and a number of major oil and gas companies.
Amir is the winner of Kazakhstan national rounds and participant of international rounds of the Jessup Moot Court 2007 competition (held annually in Washington, DC).
Articles and Case Studies:
- Harmonization Objectives Not Achieved, Market and Competition, #05-05/2013;
- Kazakhstan Part of Cartel Regulation 2014 (together with Aidyn Bikebayev) / Getting the Deal Through (an international legal guide) / December 2013;
- Disregard of the National Leader’s Instruction to Support National Producers as Exemplified in the Pharmaceutical Industry / Yurclub Legal Reference System / 25 November 2013;
- Exterritoriality of Kazakhstan Antitrust Law within Regulation of Cross-Border Transactions / PPTX / #6, 2013;
- Does Competition Contribute to Corruption? / Business and Power, #12(444) / 12 April 2013;
- What We Must Know About Antitrust Investigations / PPTX / #1-2/2013 / January-February 2013;
- Legislative opportunity for LLP acquisition by JSC being a sole participant of the acquired LLP / Accountant & Law / #4 (70), April 2012;
- Kazakhstan Law Considerations in M&A Transactions / Accountant & Law / #5(59); May 2011;
- How Lawful it is to Hold a Tax Agent Liable / Accountant & Law / #3 (45), March 2010.
- Banned drugs try to litigate / kursiv.kz (a business portal) / 16 January 2014;
- Lawyers’ position: with the Common Economic Space implementation our “dominants” will come off losers / Market and Competition, $4, 2013;
- Play anti-monopoly? … reduce prices and drive inefficient businesses to bankruptcy? / the Capital Newspaper / #40 (372), 15 November 2012.
EducationAbylai Khan Kazakh University of International Relations and World Languages, specialisation: International Law (Graduated Summa Cum Laude)