Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
(1) If asked to do so by the Secretary of State, Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Schools in England must inspect—
(a) the quality and availability of a specified description of education or training, in a specified area in England, for persons who are aged 16 or over but under 19;
(b) the standards achieved by those receiving that education or training; and
(c) whether the financial resources made available to those providing that education and training are managed efficiently and used in a way which provides value for money.
(2) The Chief Inspector may, without being asked to, conduct such an inspection.
(3) If financial resources have been applied by the Learning and Skills Council for England or a local education authority in respect of education or training which is being inspected under this section, the inspection may extend to considering the manner in which those resources have been applied and whether they have been applied in a way which provides value for money.
(4) The education or training that may be made the subject of an area inspection is any education or training within—
(a) the Chief Inspector's remit (whether as a result of this Chapter or of any other enactment); or
(b) the Adult Learning Inspectorate's remit.
(5) If, in connection with an area inspection, the Chief Inspector asks the Chief Inspector of Adult Learning for advice on a matter relating to education or training within the Inspectorate's remit, he must give such advice as he considers likely to be appropriate for the purposes of the inspection.
(6) If the Chief Inspector asks the Chief Inspector of Adult Learning to undertake a specified part of an area inspection, he must do so.
(7) A provider of education or training which is the subject of an area inspection must—
(a) provide the Chief Inspector with any information reasonably asked for by him in connection with the inspection;
(b) provide the Chief Inspector of Adult Learning with any information reasonably asked for by him in connection with the inspection.
(8) Any local education authority whose area, or part of whose area, is within the area which is the subject of an area inspection must provide the Chief Inspector with such information as the Chief Inspector may reasonably ask for in connection with the inspection.
(9) “Area inspection” means an inspection under this section.
To be appointed: see s 154(1)(a).