Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
(1) The Council must secure the provision of reasonable facilities for—
(a) education (other than higher education) suitable to the requirements of persons who have attained the age of 19,
(b) training suitable to the requirements of such persons,
(c) organised leisure-time occupation connected with such education, and
(d) organised leisure-time occupation connected with such training.
(2) Facilities are reasonable if (taking account of the Council's resources) the facilities are of such a quantity and quality that the Council can reasonably be expected to secure their provision.
(3) In performing the duty imposed on it by subsection (1) the Council must—
(a) take account of the places where facilities are provided, the character of facilities and the way they are equipped;
(b) take account of the different abilities and aptitudes of different persons;
(c) take account of the education and training required in different sectors of employment for employees and potential employees;
(d) take account of facilities whose provision the Council thinks might reasonably be secured by other persons;
(e) make the best use of the Council's resources and in particular avoid provision which might give rise to disproportionate expenditure.
(4) Provision is not to be considered as giving rise to disproportionate expenditure only because that provision is more expensive than comparable provision.
(5) For the purposes of this section—
(a) education includes both full-time and part-time education;
(b) training includes both full-time and part-time training;
(c) training includes vocational, social, physical and recreational training;
(d) higher education is education provided by means of a course of any description mentioned in Schedule 6 to the Education Reform Act 1988.
(6) References in this Part to post-16 education are to—
(a) education falling within section 31(1)(a) or subsection (1)(a) above, and
(b) organised leisure-time occupation connected with such education.
(7) References in this Part to post-16 training are to—
(a) training falling within section 31(1)(b) or subsection (1)(b) above, and
(b) organised leisure-time occupation connected with such training.
To be appointed: see s 154(2)(a).