Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
(1) Section 19 of the Teaching and Higher Education Act 1998 (requirement to serve induction period) shall be amended as follows.
(2) In subsection (1) after paragraph (b) insert—
(c) in such circumstances as may be prescribed, a further education institution (or a further education institution of a prescribed description).”
(3) In subsection (2)—
(a) in paragraph (f) omit “employed as a teacher at a school”, and
(b) in paragraph (k) after “schools” insert “or to further education institutions”.
(4) In subsection (6), for “subsection (2)” substitute “subsections (2) and (6A)”.
(5) After subsection (6) insert—
“(6A) Regulations under subsection (1)(c) may, in particular—
(a) provide that an induction period may not be begun without approval of the appropriate body for the serving of that induction period;
(b) provide for approval to be general or specific;
(c) make provision (including transitional provision) about the withdrawal of approval;
(d) impose conditions or limitations on the appropriate body's power to give or withhold approval.”
(6) In subsection (10) after paragraph (c) insert—
“ (d) “a further education institution” means an institution within the further education sector.”
(7) After subsection (10) insert—
“(11) In the application of this section to a further education institution—
(a) a reference to a school term shall be taken as a reference to a term of the institution;
(b) a reference to the head teacher of a school shall be taken as a reference to the principal of the institution.
(12) Sections 496 and 497 of the Education Act 1996 shall have effect as if—
(a) the duties and powers referred to in those sections included duties imposed and powers conferred by virtue of this section, and
(b) in relation to those duties and powers, the bodies to which those sections apply included the governing body of a relevant school, the governing body (within the meaning given by section 90(1) of the Further and Higher Education Act 1992) of a further education institution and an appropriate body for the purposes of subsection (2).”
To be appointed: see s 154(3), (4).