Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
(1) Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Schools in England—
(a) shall advise the Secretary of State on request about matters relating to services provided in pursuance of section 114(1),
(b) may give the Secretary of State other advice about those matters,
(c) shall, when requested to do so by the Secretary of State, inspect and report on the provision of those services, and
(d) may undertake such other inspections of the provision of those services as he thinks fit.
(2) A request under subsection (1)(c)—
(a) may be general or in relation to specific matters,
(b) may relate to a specific person or institution providing services, or to a specific class of person or institution, and
(c) may relate to a specific area.
(3) A reference in subsection (1) to the provision of services includes a reference to the management and use of resources in providing services.
(4) Subsections (5) to (7) apply to an inspection under subsection (1)(c) or (d) of services provided by a person or institution in pursuance of section 114(1).
(5) A person carrying out or participating in the inspection shall have the same powers as an Inspector of Schools under the following provisions of the School Inspections Act 1996—
(a) section 3(3)(a) and (b) (right of access), and
(b) section 42 (computer records).
(6) Section 42A of the 1996 Act (publication of reports) shall apply.
(7) A person who wilfully obstructs a person in carrying out or participating in the inspection—
(a) shall be guilty of an offence, and
(b) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale.
To be appointed: see s 154(1)(b).