Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
(1) The Secretary of State may make regulations authorising grants to be paid to or in respect of individuals in connection with their education or training.
(2) The regulations must provide that grants may be paid only to or in respect of individuals—
(a) who hold accounts which qualify under section 104,
(b) who are parties to arrangements which qualify under section 105, or
(c) who hold such accounts and are parties to such arrangements.
(3) The regulations may provide that grants may not be paid unless other specified conditions are satisfied.
(4) These conditions may be included—
(a) conditions as to the way the accounts qualifying under section 104 are operated (including conditions requiring them to contain a specified balance);
(b) conditions as to the way the arrangements qualifying under section 105 are conducted;
(c) conditions as to the employment or self-employment of individuals;
(d) conditions requiring individuals not to be receiving or have received specified benefits;
(e) conditions as to the kinds of education or training which qualify.
(5) The regulations may provide—
(a) that the amounts of grants, and when and how they are paid, are to be decided by the Secretary of State;
(b) that grants may be paid on such terms as the Secretary of State decides and that the terms may include terms requiring repayment in specified circumstances;
(c) that if grants are payable under the regulations they may be paid to persons providing education or training;
(d) that if grants are payable under the regulations they may be paid by the Secretary of State or by other persons under arrangements made with him;
(e) that if such arrangements are made the Secretary of State may pay the persons concerned remuneration or amounts to meet their expenses.
(6) Conditions as to the kinds of education or training which qualify may include provision for the kinds to be specified—
(a) by the Secretary of State in a way he thinks fit, or
(b) if he so decides, by a person who (at the time of the specification) is designated by the Secretary of State and who specifies in a way the Secretary of State stipulates.
(7) The regulations may provide that a specification of the kinds of education or training which qualify may include a requirement for the education or training to be provided by persons for the time being approved—
(a) by the Secretary of State, or
(b) if he so decides, by a person who (at the time of the approval) is designated by the Secretary of State.
To be appointed: see s 154(1)(b).