Stephen Kinsella OBE is a partner in Sidley’s Brussels and London offices, where he focuses on EU and UK competition law and EU regulatory law.
Mr. Kinsella has practiced European competition and regulatory law for over 25 years. He has extensive experience in the application of EU competition law, including merger control, cartel investigations, litigation, and antitrust counseling on a broad variety of commercial practices. Mr. Kinsella has been involved in a large number of high-profile cases before the European Commission and national competition authorities, and has represented clients in numerous landmark cases before the European Courts.
Mr. Kinsella has advised clients in a wide spectrum of industries and business sectors, including telecommunications, media and broadcasting, internet and e-commerce, music, pharmaceuticals, and chemicals. He also counsels clients on intellectual property law. Mr. Kinsella features in the highest rankings of competition law professionals in the leading bar publications such as Chambers, The Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal, IFLR1000 and PLC Cross-border Competition Handbook. He was appointed Officer of the British Empire (OBE) by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for “services to British commercial interests in Belgium” in 2002. Mr. Kinsella speaks and publishes widely on a variety of competition law subjects.
Mr. Kinsella is author of the following articles:
• "A move to self-assessment in mergers", Mlex Magazine, January-March 2012.
• "Selective distribution: an overview of EU and National case law", co-authored with Rosanna Connolly, e-competitions, November 2011.
• "Is it a hearing if nobody is listening?", Competition Policy International, March 2010.
• "Why shareholders should not share the blame in the EU", co-authored with Anouck Meier, Competition Policy International, November 2009.
• "Judicial review of merger decisions in EU member states", co-authored with Patrick Harrison and Anouck Meier, e-competitions, October 2009.
• Comments on the CRA Paper entitled "An economic analysis of the use of selective distribution by luxury good suppliers", co-authored with Hanne Melin and Simon Schropp, European Competition Law Journal, April 2009.
• "Who’s Afraid of the Internet? Time to Put Consumer Interests at the Heart of Competition" co-authored with Hanne Melin, GCP, March 2009.
• "Getting the Deal Through-Vertical Agreements 2007-2011", Global Competition Review
EducationTrinity Hall, Cambridge University (M.A., 1982, Hons)
MembershipsCo-chair, International Committee, American Bar Association’s Antitrust SectionPast Chairman, International Bar Association’s Antitrust and Trade Law CommitteeFormer President, British Chamber of Commerce in BelgiumEditorial Board of Competition Law International JournalSenior Editor of the competition policy magazine GCP