Diarmuid is a partner at Squire Sanders in their Antitrust & Competition practice. Diarmuid specialises in all aspects of EU and UK competition and state aid law, including:
- (i) advising on investigations by the UK competition authorities and the European Commission into cartels, collusion and abuse of dominance;
- (ii) advising on competition issues arising in relation to mergers, joint ventures and strategic alliances;
- (iii) advising on the competition aspects of various types of commercial agreement such as distribution agreements, technology transfer agreements and research and development and specialisation agreements;
- (iv) advising on the compatibility of various forms of central/regional/local government assistance/support with the EU state aid rules and, where necessary, advising on applications to the European Commission for state aid clearance; and
- (v) advising on competition-based disputes and litigation, including judicial review of regulatory decisions.
Diarmuid also specialises in competition compliance advice, including advising on compliance programmes and dawn raid programmes, devising and undertaking competition compliance audits and devising and undertaking mock dawn raids.
Diarmuid is a member of the UK Association for European Law and was one of the joint UK rapporteurs at the Biennial Congress of the Fédération Internationale de Droit Européen in November 2010, reporting on “The Judicial Application of European Competition Law”. Diarmuid is also a member of the Competition Advisory Panel of the Confederation of British Industry.
The Legal 500 UK 2011 describes Diarmuid as providing "sound and informed advice on complex matters". Chambers and Partners' Chambers UK 2009 described Diarmuid as "practical and pro-active – when it comes to it, he can simply outgun other lawyers".
EducationCollege of Europe, Bruges: LLM, 1995, Emmanuel College, Cambridge: BA, Law, 1994, College of Law, York, 1996
QualificationSolicitor of the Senior Courts of England & Wales