I am a solicitor specialising in intellectual property, with a particular emphasis on the publishing industry, with 32 years' experience of advising publishers, writers, literary agents and others involved in the publishing industry.
I have acted for some of the largest UK publishers (eg Random House) as well as some very small independent publishers. Similarly, I have acted for very well-known authors (eg Wilbur Smith, Anthony Burgess, Doris Lessing) as well as first-time authors.
For a number of years I advised the Royal Opera House on contracts with broadcasters, with artists and on touring arrangements.
I am the sole author of volume 21(2) of The Encyclopaedia of Forms and Precedents – Intellectual Property: Copyright.
I am the author of a specialist section on the publishing industry in Copinger and Skone James on Copyright (the leading practitioners' work on UK copyright, now in a new 16th edition).
My practice concentrates on:
- drafting and negotiating contracts;
- pre-publication advice on defamation (I advised Which? magazine for 25 years);
- advising on copyright;
- trade mark registration and advice;
- trade mark and copyright licences;
- software development and licensing contracts;
- web hosting contracts;
- web design contracts;
- terms and conditions and privacy policies for online businesses;
- agency and distribution agreements;
- consultancy agreements;
- agreements for the supply of goods and/or services;
- contracts for the sale of business assets;
- shareholder agreements;
- manufacturing agreements.