Alec Ure has more than 35 years of pensions experience. He became a self-employed consultant and author in 2003 and is a leading writer of books and articles on pensions. He had previously worked for Bacon & Woodrow, where he was senior consultant in their legal department and Gissings’ Technical Team. Alec advised on many aspects of pensions and taxation issues, and provided UK and offshore pension documentation. Previously, he worked for the Inland Revenue, 15 years being spent in the Pension Schemes Office in a senior role, involving tax and pension enquiries and dedicated work on documentation and pension provision and planning.
- Drafting of pensions trust documentation in the UK;
- Drafting and support services to offshore and other international pension schemes;
- Drafting member literature and other related documentation for UK and overseas pensions schemes,
trustees, advisers and employers;
- Winding-up processes, scheme reconstructions and conversions etc;
- Compliance with HMRC tax regime and resolving legacy issues relating to the old tax rules;
- Compliance with DWP requirements;
- EU proposals and directives;
- Member state compliance with EU proposals and relevant European, including UK, case law;
- Attendance at client and adviser meetings;
- Assistance on pensions-related tax issues, reporting, tax returns, and negotiations of difficulties with the HMRC;
- Dispute resolutions, litigation, professional negligence, indemnification etc.
- Developing internal technical guidance notes for pension provision by employers;
- Review of senior executive benefits and protection of past rights.