Insertion of new section 249AA3
The following section shall be inserted after section 249A—
(1) Subject to section 249B(2) to (5), a company is exempt from the provisions of this Part relating to the audit of accounts in respect of a financial year if—
(a) it has been dormant since its formation, or
(b) it has been dormant since the end of the previous financial year and subsection (2) applies.
(2) This subsection applies if the company—
(a) is entitled in respect of its individual accounts for the financial year in question to prepare accounts in accordance with section 246, or would be so entitled but for the application of section 247A(1)(a)(i) or (b), and
(b) is not required to prepare group accounts for that year.
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply if at any time in the financial year in question the company was—
(a) a banking or insurance company, or
(b) an authorised person for the purposes of the Financial Services Act 1986.
(4) A company is “dormant” during any period in which it has no significant accounting transaction.
(5) “Significant accounting transaction” means a transaction which—
(a) is required by section 221 to be entered in the company's accounting records; but
(b) is not a transaction to which subsection (6) or (7) applies.
(6) This subsection applies to a transaction arising from the taking of shares in the company by a subscriber to the memorandum as a result of an undertaking of his in the memorandum.
(7) This subsection applies to a transaction consisting of the payment of—
(a) a fee to the registrar on a change of name under section 28 (change of name),
(b) a fee to the registrar on the re-registration of a company under Part II (re-registration as a means of altering a company's status),
(c) a penalty under section 242A (penalty for failure to deliver accounts), or
(d) a fee to the registrar for the registration of an annual return under Chapter III of Part XI.”
Specified date: 26 May 2000: see reg 1(1).