For regulation 56 there shall be substituted—
(1) No person may conduct instruction in the riding of motor bicycles as part of an approved training course except in accordance with this regulation and regulations 56A to 62.
(2) Subject to the following provisions of this regulation, an approved training body may authorise persons to conduct on his behalf instruction of persons in the riding of learner motor bicycles.
(3) A person may not be authorised under paragraph (2) unless at the date of authorisation he satisfies the following conditions, namely that—
(a) he is a fit and proper person to be an instructor;
(b) he holds a full licence authorising the driving of vehicles in category A other than vehicles included in sub-category A1;
(i) in the case of a person who was authorised to conduct instruction by an approved training body in accordance with these Regulations on 30th January 1998, he had held that licence for a period of, or periods amounting in aggregate to, not less than 2 years, or
(ii) in any other case, he is at least 21 years of age and has held that licence for a period of, or periods amounting in aggregate to, not less than 3 years; and
(d) he has either—
(i) successfully completed the licensing authority's assessment course for certified instructors, or
(ii) been fully trained by a certified instructor who has successfully completed such a course and assessed by that instructor to be capable of acting as a certified instructor.
(4) An authorisation given to a person under paragraph (2) shall be of no effect unless—
(a) the approved training body has notified the licensing authority in writing of the proposed authorisation,
(b) the licensing authority has approved the authorisation in writing, and
(c) there is in force in respect of that person a valid certificate, in the form set out in Part 1 of Schedule 12, issued by the licensing authority to the approved training body giving the authorisation.
(5) A person in respect of whom a certificate issued under paragraph (4)(c) is in force—
(a) shall be known as a certified instructor, and
(b) shall be entitled—
(i) to conduct approved training courses, and
(ii) in the case of an instructor who has successfully completed the licensing authority's assessment course for certified instructors, to train other persons and to assess their capability to act as certified instructors.
(a) a person who is an approved training body satisfies the conditions set out in paragraph (3), and
(b) a certificate in respect of him is issued by the licensing authority under paragraph (4)(c),
he shall be deemed to have been authorised as a certified instructor.
(7) A certificate issued pursuant to paragraph (4)(c) shall be valid for a period of four years but may be renewed upon application being made to the licensing authority by the approved training body who authorised the instructor.
(8) When conducting an approved training course a certified instructor shall carry with him the certificate issued in respect of him by the licensing authority and shall, upon being required to do so by a constable or the licensing authority, produce it for examination.
Persons authorised as assistant instructors56A
(1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3), a person authorised or deemed to be authorised as an assistant instructor on 30th January 1998 shall be entitled to conduct, on behalf of an approved training body, the instruction of riders of motor bicycles in all elements other than element (E) of the prescribed training course.
(2) No person authorised or deemed to be authorised as an assistant instructor may conduct instruction if at any time he ceases to hold a full licence authorising the driving of vehicles in category A (other than a licence authorising the driving only of vehicles in sub-category A1) or if the licensing authority, being satisfied that he is not a fit and proper person to conduct instruction, withdraws approval of his authorisation to act as an assistant instructor.
(3) No person shall be entitled to conduct training otherwise than as a certified instructor or certified direct access instructor after 30th January 2002.”.
Specified date: 31 January 1998: see reg 1(a).