Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
In Part 3 of the National Health Service Act 2006 (local authorities and the NHS) after section 73B insert—“73C Complaints about exercise of public health functions by local authorities
(1) Regulations may make provision about the handling and consideration of complaints made under the regulations about—
(a) the exercise by a local authority of any of its public health functions;
(b) the exercise by a local authority of its functions by virtue of section 6C(1) or (3);
(c) anything done by a local authority in pursuance of arrangements made under section 7A;
(d) the exercise by a local authority of any of its other functions—
(i) which relate to public health, and
(ii) for which its director of public health has responsibility;
(e) the provision of services by another person in pursuance of arrangements made by a local authority in the exercise of any function mentioned in paragraphs (a) to (d).
(2) The regulations may provide for a complaint to be considered by one or more of the following—
(a) the local authority in respect of whose functions the complaint is made;
(b) an independent panel established under the regulations;
(c) any other person or body.
(3) The regulations may provide for a complaint or any matter raised by a complaint—
(a) to be referred to a Local Commissioner under Part 3 of the Local Government Act 1974 for the Commissioner to consider whether to investigate the complaint or matter under that Part;
(b) to be referred to any other person or body for that person or body to consider whether to take any action otherwise than under the regulations.
(4) Where the regulations make provision under subsection (3)(a) they may also provide for the complaint to be treated as satisfying sections 26A and 26B of the Act of 1974.
(5) Section 115 of the Health and Social Care (Community Health and Standards) Act 2003 (health care and social services complaints regulations: supplementary) applies in relation to regulations under this section as it applies in relation to regulations under subsection (1) of section 113 of that Act.
(6) In this section, “local authority” has the same meaning as in section 2B.”
Royal Assent (in so far as is necessary for enabling the exercise on or after 27 March 2012 of any power to make an order or regulations or to give directions that is conferred by the above section or an amendment made by it.): 27 March 2012: see s 306(1)(d).
To be appointed (for remaining purposes): see s 306(4).
This section does not extend to Scotland: see s 308(1).