Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
(1) The Health and Social Work Professions Order 2001 (SI 2002/254) is amended as follows.
(2) In article 3 (the Council and its Committees), in paragraph (3), at the end insert “(and see also section 114ZA of the Mental Health Act 1983 (approval of courses for approved mental health professionals))”.
(3) After paragraph (5) of that article insert—
“(5ZA) In the application of paragraph (5) to the functions of the Council that relate to persons who are, or wish to become, approved mental health professionals in England, references to registrants are to be read as including a reference to such approved mental health professionals in England as are not registrants.”
(4) In article 14 (the Council's education and training committee), after sub-paragraph (b) insert—
“(ba) the setting of criteria under article 15B;”.
(5) After article 15 insert—“15A Exercise of function of approving courses for approved mental health professionals
(1) The function under section 114ZA(1) of the Mental Health Act 1983 (approval of courses for approved mental health professionals in England) is exercisable by the Education and Training Committee.
(2) In relation to AMHP courses run outside the United Kingdom, section 114ZA(1) of that Act applies only in relation to courses run by institutions which are approved in accordance with article 15B(3).
(3) In this article and articles 15B to 18, “AMHP course” means a course of the kind referred to in section 114ZA(1) of the Mental Health Act 1983.15B Criteria for approving courses for approved mental health professionals
(1) The Council must set the criteria to be applied in exercising the function under section 114ZA(1) of the Mental Health Act 1983.
(2) The Education and Training Committee must—
(a) ensure that universities and other bodies in the United Kingdom concerned with the provision of AMHP courses are notified of the criteria set under paragraph (1); and
(b) take appropriate steps to satisfy itself that the AMHP courses provided by such bodies meet those criteria.
(3) In performing the function under paragraph (2)(b), the Committee may, in particular, approve or arrange with others to approve institutions which the Committee considers to be properly organised and equipped for conducting AMHP courses.
(4) The Council must from time to time publish a statement of the criteria set under paragraph (1).
(5) An AMHP course is to be treated for the purposes of articles 16 to 18 as a relevant course of education or training.”
(6) In article 16 (visitors), in paragraph (6), at the end insert “; but that does not apply to AMHP courses.”
(7) In article 17 (information), after paragraph (3) insert—
“(3A) The reference in paragraph (3) to the functions of the Committee under this Order includes a reference to the function under section 114ZA(1) of the Mental Health Act 1983 (approval of courses for approved mental health professionals) in so far as that function is exercisable by the Committee.”
(8) In article 18 (refusal or withdrawal of approval), after paragraph (1) insert—
“(1A) Where as a result of any visitor's report or other information acquired by the Committee or the Council, and taking account of the observations received from the institution under article 16(9), the Committee is of the opinion that an AMHP course does not meet the criteria set under article 15B(1), it may refuse to approve, or withdraw approval from, the course.”
(9) In that article—
(a) in paragraph (3), after “paragraph (1)” insert “or (1A)”, and
(b) in paragraph (6), after “paragraph (1)” in each place it appears insert “or, as the case may be, (1A)”.
(10) In article 21(1)(a) (Council's duty to establish standards of conduct etc and give guidance), after “prospective registrants” insert “(including registrants or prospective registrants carrying out the functions of an approved mental health professional)”.
(11) In article 45 (finances of the Council), after paragraph (3) insert—
“(3A) The Secretary of State may make grants or loans to the Council towards expenses incurred, or to be incurred by it, in connection with the exercise of its functions in relation to persons who are, or wish to become, approved mental health professionals in England.”
Royal Assent (in so far as is necessary for enabling the exercise on or after 27 March 2012 of any power to make an order or regulations or to give directions that is conferred by the above section or an amendment made by it.): 27 March 2012: see s 306(1)(d).
To be appointed (for remaining purposes): see s 306(4).
This section does not extend to Scotland: see s 308(1).