Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
(1) Part 2 of the Criminal Justice Act 1991 (c 53) (early release of prisoners: offences committed before 4th April 2005 etc) is amended as follows.
(2) In section 33 (duty to release short-term and long-term prisoners), after subsection (1) insert—
“(1A) As soon as a long-term prisoner has served one-half of his sentence, it shall be the duty of the Secretary of State to release him on licence.
(1B) Subsection (1A) does not apply to a long-term prisoner if the offence or one of the offences in respect of which he is serving the sentence is specified in Schedule 15 to the Criminal Justice Act 2003 (specified violent offences and specified sexual offences).
(1C) The reference in subsection (1B) to an offence specified in Schedule 15 to the Criminal Justice Act 2003 includes a reference to—
(a) an offence under section 70 of the Army Act 1955, section 70 of the Air Force Act 1955 or section 42 of the Naval Discipline Act 1957 as respects which the corresponding civil offence (within the meaning of the Act in question) is an offence specified in that Schedule, and
(b) an offence under section 42 of the Armed Forces Act 2006 as respects which the corresponding offence under the law of England and Wales (within the meaning given by that section) is an offence specified in that Schedule.
(1D) Section 48 of the Armed Forces Act 2006 (attempts, conspiracy etc) applies for the purposes of subsection (1C)(b) as if the reference in subsection (3)(b) of that section to any of the following provisions of that Act were a reference to subsection (1C)(b).”
(3) In that section, in subsection (2) after “a long-term prisoner” insert “to whom subsection (1A) does not apply”.
(4) In section 35 (power to release long-term prisoners etc) after subsection (1) insert—
“(1A) Subsection (1) does not apply to a long-term prisoner to whom section 33(1A) applies.”
(5) In section 37 (duration and conditions of licences)—
(a) in subsection (1), for “ (1B) and (2)” substitute “ (1B), (2) and (8)”, and
(b) after subsection (7) insert—
“(8) This section does not apply in relation to a long-term prisoner to whom section 33(1A) applies (provision as to the duration and conditions of licences for such prisoners being made by section 37ZA).”
(6) After section 37 insert—“37ZA Duration and conditions of licences under section 33(1A) etc
(1) Where a long-term prisoner is released on licence under section 33(1A), the licence shall (subject to any revocation under section 254 of the 2003 Act) remain in force for the remainder of the sentence.
(2) Section 250(1), (4) and (8) of the 2003 Act apply in relation to a licence under section 33(1A) of this Act as they apply in relation to a licence under Chapter 6 of Part 12 of the 2003 Act in respect of a prisoner serving a sentence of imprisonment for a term of twelve months or more.
(3) A person subject to a licence under section 33(1A) must comply with such conditions as may for the time being be specified in the licence.
(4) The reference in section 254(1) of the 2003 Act to a person who has been released on licence under Chapter 6 of Part 12 of that Act includes a reference to a person released on licence under section 33(1A).
(5) In this section, “the 2003 Act” means the Criminal Justice Act 2003.”
To be appointed: see s 153(7).