Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
(1) The Secretary of State may make payments in respect of the whole or any part of the expenditure of a police authority in relation to—
(a) the prevention and detection of offences to which subsection (3) applies, or
(b) any enforcement action or proceedings in respect of such offences or any alleged such offences.
(2) Payments under this section shall be made at such times, in such manner and subject to such conditions as the Secretary of State may determine.
(3) This subsection applies to offences committed in England and Wales under the following provisions—
Road Traffic Act 1988 (c 52)
section 14 (requirements regarding seat belts: adults);
section 15(2) and (4) (restriction on carrying children not wearing seat belts in motor vehicles);
section 42 (motor vehicles and trailers: other construction and use requirements) in relation to the construction and use requirements imposed by the following regulations—
(a) regulations 54, 57, 104 and 110 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/1078);
(b) regulations 11(1) and 25 of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 (SI 1989/1796);
section 47 (obligatory test certificates for motor vehicles);
section 87(1) (drivers of motor vehicles to have driving licences);
section 143 (users of motor vehicles to be insured or secured against third-party risks);
section 163 (power of police to stop vehicles);
section 172 (duty to give information as to the identity of driver etc in certain circumstances);
Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (c 22)
section 33 (not exhibiting vehicle licence);
section 42 (not fixing registration mark);
section 43 (obscured registration mark);
section 43C (using an incorrectly registered vehicle);
section 59 (regulations: offences) in relation to the requirements imposed by regulation 11 of the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 (SI 2001/561).
(4) The Secretary of State may by order amend the list of offences in subsection (3) so as to add, modify or omit any entry.
(5) In subsection (3) “construction and use requirements” has the meaning given by section 41(7) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c 52).
To be appointed: see s 178(8).