Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
(1) A charge to income tax, to be known as the scheme sanction charge, arises where in any tax year one or more scheme chargeable payments are made by a registered pension scheme.
(2) The person liable to the scheme sanction charge is the scheme administrator.
(3) But in the case of a payment treated by virtue of section 161(3) and (4) (payments under investments acquired with scheme assets) as having been made by a pension scheme which has been wound up, the person liable to the scheme sanction charge is the person who was, or each of the persons who were, the scheme administrator immediately before the pension scheme was wound up.
(4) A person liable to the scheme sanction charge is liable whether or not—
(a) that person, and
(b) any other person who is liable to the scheme sanction charge,
are resident, ordinarily resident or domiciled in the United Kingdom.
(5) The following sections make further provision about the scheme sanction charge—
section 240 (amount of charge), and
section 241 (scheme chargeable payment).
This Act received Royal Assent on 22 July 2004: for provision as to the commencement of this section see s 284.