Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
(1) The Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001 (c 16) is amended as follows.
(2) In section 2(1) (penalty notices for disorderly behaviour by persons aged 18 or over) for “18” substitute “16”.
(3) After section 2(5) insert—
“(6) The Secretary of State may by order—
(a) amend subsection (1) by substituting for the age for the time being specified in that subsection a different age which is not lower than 10, and
(b) if that different age is lower than 16, make provision as follows—
(i) where a person whose age is lower than 16 is given a penalty notice, for a parent or guardian of that person to be notified of the giving of the notice, and
(ii) for that parent or guardian to be liable to pay the penalty under the notice.
(7) The provision which may be made by virtue of subsection (6)(b) includes provision amending, or applying (with or without modifications), this Chapter or any other enactment (whenever passed or made).
(8) The power conferred by subsection (6) is exercisable by statutory instrument.
(9) No order shall be made under subsection (6) unless a draft of the order has been laid before and approved by a resolution of each House of Parliament.”
(4) After section 3(1) (amount of penalty) insert—
“(1A) The Secretary of State may specify different amounts for persons of different ages.”
To be appointed: see s 93(1).