Part4Youth JusticeAims53Aims of youth justice system
(1) The principal aim of the youth justice system is to protect the public by preventing offending by children.
(2) All persons and bodies exercising functions in relation to the youth justice system must have regard to that principal aim in exercising their functions, with a view (in particular) to encouraging children to recognise the effects of crime and to take responsibility for their actions.
(3) But all such persons and bodies must also have regard to the welfare of children affected by the exercise of their functions (and to the general principle that any delay in dealing with children is likely to prejudice their welfare), with a view (in particular) to furthering their personal, social and educational development.
(4) “Youth justice system” means the system of criminal justice in so far as it relates to children.
(5) “Offending” includes re-offending.
(6) “Children” means persons who are under the age of 18.