Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
(1) The Commission shall keep under review, and from time to time submit reports to the Secretary of State on, the following matters, namely—
(a) such matters relating to elections to which this section applies as the Commission may determine from time to time;
(b) such matters relating to referendums to which this section applies as the Commission may so determine;
(c) the redistribution of seats at parliamentary elections;
(d) if any functions are transferred by an order under section 18(1), 19(1) or 20(1), the matters in relation to which those functions are exercisable;
(e) the registration of political parties and the regulation of their income and expenditure;
(f) political advertising in the broadcast and other electronic media;
(g) the law relating to the matters mentioned in each of paragraphs (a) to (f).
(2) At the request of the Secretary of State, and within such time as the Secretary of State may specify, the Commission shall—
(a) review, and
(b) submit a report to the Secretary of State on,
such matter or matters (whether or not falling within subsection (1)) as the Secretary of State may specify.
(3) The Commission shall not, however, carry out any review (or make any report) under this section with respect to any of the following matters, namely—
(a) the funding of political parties under section 97 of the Scotland Act 1998 or for the purpose of assisting members of the Northern Ireland Assembly connected with such parties to perform their Assembly duties;
(b) the conduct of referendums held in pursuance of any provision made by or under an Act of the Scottish Parliament or the Northern Ireland Assembly or the conduct of any poll under section 36 of the Government of Wales Act 1998;
(c) the law relating to the matters mentioned in each of paragraphs (a) and (b).
(4) Where any review carried out under this section relates to elections or referendums in Northern Ireland, the Commission shall consult the Chief Electoral Officer for Northern Ireland with respect to such elections or referendums.
(5) Each report made by the Commission under this section shall be published by them in such manner as they may determine.
(6) The elections and referendums to which this section applies are—
(a) in the case of elections—
(i) the elections mentioned in section 5(2),
(ii) local government elections in England or Wales, and
(iii) local elections in Northern Ireland; and
(b) in the case of referendums, referendums to which Part VII applies and those under Part II of the Local Government Act 2000.
Royal Assent (in so far as conferring power to make an order or regulations): 30 November 2000: see s 163(3)(d).
To be appointed (for remaining purposes): see s 163(2).