Free legislation on LexisWeb is as enacted and does not take into account any amendments
(1) There shall be a Committee (to be known as “the Speaker's Committee”) to perform the functions conferred on the Committee by this Act.
(2) The Speaker's Committee shall consist of the Speaker of the House of Commons, who shall be the chairman of the Committee, and the following other members, namely—
(a) the Member of the House of Commons who is for the time being the Chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee of the House of Commons;
(b) the Secretary of State for the Home Department (whether or not a Member of the House of Commons);
(c) a Member of the House of Commons who is a Minister of the Crown with responsibilities in relation to local government; and
(d) five Members of the House of Commons who are not Ministers of the Crown.
(3) The member of the Committee mentioned in subsection (2)(c) shall be appointed to membership of the Committee by the Prime Minister.
(4) The members of the Committee mentioned in subsection (2)(d) shall be appointed to membership of the Committee by the Speaker of the House of Commons.
(5) Schedule 2, which makes further provision in relation to the Speaker's Committee, shall have effect.
(6) In this section and that Schedule, references to the Home Affairs Select Committee shall—
(a) if the name of that Committee is changed, be taken (subject to paragraph (b)) to be references to the Committee by its new name;
(b) if the functions of that Committee at the passing of this Act with respect to electoral matters (or functions substantially corresponding thereto) become functions of a different committee of the House of Commons, be taken to be references to the committee by whom the functions are for the time being exercisable.
Royal Assent: 30 November 2000: see s 163(3)(a).